Thursday 4 June 2015

Mini Reviews: Old Edition.

Thursday 4 June 2015
All the 'Old Edition' of this really means is that I'm trying to review more books that I read and not many of you see these reviews on GoodReads so I'm posting them on here. I'm going back through my GR account and seeing which reviews have never seen the light of day. Enjoy - I know I wont.


All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven: Sometimes you read a book and it simultaneously breaks your heart and makes you laugh. All The Bright Places is poetic, clever and beautiful. When I started this book I knew that Theodore Finch would start to feel like a friend to me and that's exactly what happened. Reading about Finch and Violet and their wanderings was the most wonderful experience and I'm so glad that I got to read this book and wander right along with them. Thank you to Jennifer Niven for writing such a poignant, faultless story that not only did I find a piece of myself in but a piece of everyone I love. Thank you to Violet for understanding and Lastly thank you to Finch for you are all the colours in one, at full brightness. 5/5 Stars.

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales: I adore this book. Sometimes you read a contemporary and you finish it feeling like 'okay, i loved it. it was a good book' and then sometimes you finish a contemporary and you scream (or whisper scream because it's 1:43am) and flail and read the last quote again and then again and then you read it out loud and then you rush to find a sticky tab because you absolutely have to mark this quote forever. This was the latter. There are some books that you read and that you go away having loved and there are some books that you read and then go away with them being a part of you. This Song Will Save Your Life will forever be a part of me. It's one of those books that I needed when I was 14/15 and one of those books that I need three weeks away from being 18 and it's one of those books that I will need when I'm 30. I don't want to say too much more about this book for now, because I just finished it and I'm reeling and honestly I just want to sit and soak it up a little bit more but I will say this - READ THIS FUCKING BOOK. 5/5 Stars.

Say Her Name by James Dawson: Before you read this book here is a piece of advice: cover up all windows, mirrors and reflective surfaces in your vicinity and make sure you're not home alone. This book terrified me. I'm not one for horror, mostly because the last time I watched The Final Destination I became convinced that I was going to die by some fluke accident and began to text all my friends and family telling them that I loved them. This book had me wanting to do the same. In the end I had to read this book with my music on full volume so that I couldn't hear any of the freaky house sounds that come with being home alone (although I did then almost pee my pants when my sister burst into my room and I didn't know she was home). Say Her Name is brilliant, sometimes horrors can be cheesy and you can find yourself thinking 'that's just stupid' and there were points in this book where I felt that (I mean honestly it took them so long to figure out the simplest thing) but I can't find any immediate faults in this book - other than the fact that the romance didn't do much for me and they had their first kiss in a tomb. Bobbie annoyed me at points but I was scared beyond belief so I'd say that the book did it's job and it did it well. If you like horror check this out, if you're unsure about horror and want to start exploring the genre then this would be a good start. 4.5/5 Stars.

Switched by Amanda Hocking: I hadn't expected this book to interest me in the slightest before I decided to finally read it, and it completely blew me away - not in the 'oh my god this book was absolutely amazing' sense but more along the lines of 'okay, so I totally judged this book and now I feel bad because it was actually pretty decent and I enjoyed it'. The ending was a little underwhelming and it felt as though not a lot had actually happened by the time we reached the end of the book, nevertheless I am happy that I relented and gave the book a chance and I am excited to continue on with the trilogy. 4/5 Stars.

6 comments :

  1. I am ashamed to see that I STILL haven't picked up All the Bright Places. I don't even know why I haven't tried it yet. D: Funny yet sad stories are my favorites. I'm guess I'm just scared that this book won't end in a HEA?

    Again, I am guilty. I've owned This Song Will Save Your Life for a while now and I still haven't gotten to it. I love how you described this book. It seems like one of those reads that will worm its way into your heart and never get out.

    I really enjoyed Switched too, but I never picked up the sequels because I spoiled myself on the ending and I didn't like how it ended. o_o

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like funny but sad stories then you need to pick up All The Bright Places ASAP. It's amazing!!!

      The last book disappointed me so much (I think I did a review on that one as well actually). The whole trilogy had been building up to this big war and it was over in 5 pages with 0 casualties - yeah, definitely not worth continuing on.

      Delete
  2. This song will save your life made such an impression on me. Those books make me believe in the contemporary genre, because most of them let me down. This story did something to me and some of the quotes in there, GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did but I loved that there wasn't a lot of romance in it and it showed her actually putting her interests before a boy. It's one of those books that really gives me faith in the YA genre in general. It's not often you see a girl making smart decisions for herself. e.g. so often we see young girls choosing where to go to college based on how far away they are from their boyfriend. BLECH.

      Delete
  3. I am super scared and super excited in equal measure for ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES. Scared because everyone loves it so much, and hype terrifies me. I hardly ever love the books that everyone else loves. Excited: because it looks so GOOD. And heartbreaking, and just yes. I want to love it so much.

    LOL @ Final Destination. I was the same. Every time I got in a car, I'd just be like: this is it. A pole is going to fall off the back of a truck and impale you in the head. Or a car is going to roll and burst into flames and your door won't unlock and you'll die. DAMN THOSE MOVIES.

    But yay at the fact that SAY HER NAME wasn't a cheesy horror book, and actually scared you. I swear "scary" books never actually scare me. So I'm off to Goodreads to suss this one out *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually the opposite! I end up loving most of the hyped books. GAH. I hope you do love this one though! It'd be so disappointing if you didn't.

      (I get scared at a LOT please don't take my word for this) hope you decide it's worth it! :)

      Delete