Saturday 12 December 2015

Let's Talk: Vaginas!

Saturday 12 December 2015

So today I have a bit of a different post to share with you all and it comes from a very difficult experience that I and a lot of other women have to deal with each month and that is, you guessed it, periods.

I found myself browsing YouTube and all of the Project For Awesome videos that have been posted in the past day or two and I clicked on a video by Ingrid Nilsen and her aptly titled video 'Your Vagina Matters' because, I have a vagina and it's very dear to me and anything that is targeted towards my vagina is something that I will want to watch, or read.

The video was about an organisation called Conscious Period that is trying to help stop the stigma surrounding periods and make life a little easier for all of the women that get them. The tampons and pads are all 100% cotton so that women know exactly what it is that we are putting inside of our bodies. For every box of tampons that are purchased, a box of pads are donated to homeless women in the, I believe, Los Angeles area.

Unforunately, I can't donate to their Indiegogo campaign but I wanted to spread the word about everything that they're doing because I believe it can really make a difference to a lot of homeless women's lives. And, obviously, I'm always up for destroying some stigma so I'm just going to have a casual chat with you all, woman to woman, woman to man, woman to however you identify, about periods, the lovely things that they are.

When did my period start?

If I remember correctly, my period started when I was around 12/13 and thankfully I had already had Sex Education lessons about what a period was which helped save me from that 'am I dying?' fiasco that I've heard many a story about. The stigma, for me, all started when these same Sex Education lessons were separate from the boys in my class which meant that from the age of around 11 I was essentially told that periods are not something to be discussed when males are around. It only got worse from then on.

Being at school.

Being at school and on my period was the absolute worst. If I needed to go to the toilet, I wasn't always allowed, and if I was then my teacher would always question why it was that I was taking my bag with me, embarrassing me to the point where I felt that I couldn't explain that I was currently bleeding from my vagina. If I ever got angry or upset about something the 'What, are you on your period or something?' question would be shot at me by a crowd of boys who were so obviously disgusted by something that is perfectly natural. Also: Yes, I am on my period. No, that's not why I'm angry. I'm angry because you're being an annoying little shit. 

Leakage.

Leakage is the ultimate worst nightmare. Ever. One week out of every month I am the most paranoid that I will probably ever be, constantly worried that my pad won't be enough, that my tampon won't catch everything, that I'm going to leak all over my chair in the classroom, that my skirt will have a red stain on it and I won't realise for the whole day, that blood is just going to come out of my ears, nostrils and every orifice in my body because one pad simply cannot hold it all. It's exhausting. 

Take my money, take it all.

One piece of ridiculous news that I got this year is that tampons are taxed as luxury items. Did you know that? Did you? Last time I checked they were pretty damn essential. Why are they so expensive? Why do you need all of my money, my parents money? I don't choose to bleed. People choose to have sex, why are condoms free? Why are the government and the corporate world so hellbent on keeping the 'period' a taboo subject that they won't even help women who perhaps don't have the access to tampons or pads, who don't have they money to buy any 'luxury items'. 

Please watch Ingrid's video, please try to donate, please help to destroy the stigma. If you can't donate then just try to be a part of the conversation as much as you are comfortable with.

6 comments :

  1. I was really lucky, because I got my period when I was 15/16, so I was blessed with a lot of time with no cramps, no ridiculous expensive things to stick between your leg or the paranoid feeling of leaking through.

    I hate it how we makes this such a mystery, like it's some kind of secret between women. Guys should stop acting like such weirdos and just accept the fact that this happens - it is natural. They have wet dreams, we bleed every once in a while, etc. Nothing weird about that. I wish we wouldn't have to feel so ashamed to talk about it.

    And people who say 'you are cranky, is it your period?' should start to bleed out of every whole they have and see how they like that. We can be pissed off without that, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! My friend didn't start hers til quite late either and to this day she still doesn't have cramps! I don't know how she does it, but I want some of what she's got if it means I don't have to suffer as much as I do.

      Oh, definitely. I used to be so embarrassed to carry a pad or tampon to the toilet, feeling like it had to be discreet, but now I don't even try to hide it. It happens to most women and it happens every month, it's not a secret.

      Delete
  2. I hate the whole expense of periods the most. We freaking bleed but we have to pay for periods, but condoms are free. Very, very logical. And I didn't even know they were considered a luxury item in London! That's just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price is absolutely ridiculous! So many women around the world can't afford it and that's not even counting homeless women. Yes, Tampon Tax is very much a thing and it's astonishing that a government where the percentage of men is over 50% (there are 458 men compared to 191 women) gets to dictate whether the products we use to make our periods easier are essential or not.

      Delete
  3. YES THIS POST IS LIFE. I get everything you just said, right there. Having your period is definitely something that you get taught from a young age to not speak about, from the attitudes that people hold towards it. Plus, I could not agree more about how tampons are classed as a luxury item whilst condoms aren't. I mean, I get that condoms are important, you need to have birth control, but you could at least stop yourself from having sex - with periods, THEY JUST COME EVERY MONTH AND YOU CANT CHANGE THAT. This post is life.
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete