Wednesday 2 December 2015

Mini Reviews

Wednesday 2 December 2015
Mini Reviews is a feature on this blog that allows me to review books even when I don't have a full post full of thoughts!


Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas: This book is everything. I always find myself saying that there is no way the series can get better and yet it just does, over and over again. I'm beginning to think that Sarah J Maas has superpowers. Sidenote: ALL OF DEM FEELS. 5/5 Stars.

This Book is Gay by James Dawson: One thing that really excited me about reading this book is that Dawson states straight off the bat that as a 'gay white male' James' view alone can in no way be representative of the huge spectrum that is LGBT+. Throughout the book there are different views, different stories, different people from far and wide and all with different experiences and it's truly a beautiful thing to see. Not only does This Book is Gay have a HUGE array of statistics, facts and studies but it's also hugely entertaining. Meaning: It's funny! I had actual laugh-out-loud moments while reading this which, believe me, is uncommon for a book that doesn't have romance or sword fights. Illustrations galore! I really wish that this book was around when I was growing up. Read it! 4/5 Stars.

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson: I didn't think that there was any way Jandy Nelson would be able to pull of an exquisite, heartbreaking and yet unbelievably beautiful story quite like I'll Give You The Sun and yet there I was, devouring page after page after page, wiping my tears, blowing my nose and wallowing in someone else's sadness.The Sky Is Everywhere made me feel like I was floating along with the characters, like I was embarking on this incredible journey through first loves, first loss and everything else that comes with being a teenager. Joe Fontaine became MY Joe Fontaine, Bailey became like a sister to me and the Walker's a family I'll never forget. 5/5 Stars.

The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan: I was persuaded into buying this in my local bookstore earlier in the year and, I'll admit, I had no intention of reading it. I'm not one for memoirs or non-fiction unless it's something that I'm really interested in but I am so glad that I decided to pick up this book today. The writing was absolutely incredible and I feel so honoured that I've had the chance to celebrate this young woman's writing, even after her death. The stories are honestly so haunting and there is something so optimistically harrowing about them. I can't believe that I almost let this sit on my bookshelf for years on end just gathering dust. 4/5 Stars.

4 comments :

  1. Sarah is definitely a genius mastermind - I love how every book brings something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely incredible. Each book is more thrilling than the last.

      Delete
  2. Jandy Nelson is QUEEN! I'm eagerly awaiting her next novel, even though I have no idea if she's even writing one right now. ILL WAIT FOREVER. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bow down to Queen Jandy.

      On Goodreads there is one set for 2017! :)

      Than you! <3

      Delete