Monday 22 September 2014

I Have A Weakness

Monday 22 September 2014
And it's for cheesy, passionate, squeal-inducing, cute contemporary novels.

I always make a promise to myself that I will read that fantasy book that's been sitting on my shelf for months and then the next thing you know I am laying in bed with one of those horribly, erotic looking covers (you know the ones - girl and boy typically making out most of the time in front of a beautiful sunset or in the middle of a torrential downpour) and then it isn't until a few hours later when I've finished the book that I realise it is exactly like the past three contemporary books I've read.

The only reason I can think of which would explain why I get so gushy over these cheesy reads is because I'm a romantic at heart - which isn't true, at all. Trust me the first time someone told me they loved me (aside from my mother) I laughed in their face and if my future beau even so much as thought about calling me 'baby' I'd slap him so hard he has no choice but to contact his closest plastic surgeon.

This leads me to the conclusion that it must be the guys: the beautiful, brooding, well-dressed, totally cliche, sweet talking, non realistic guys. Now when I say 'non realistic' I do NOT, I repeat I do NOT mean that as a bad thing. Honestly, I'd rather spend the next twenty years of my life searching for Levi Stewart than settling for someone who doesn't know the difference between feminism and lesbianism. Non-realistic guys are the only type of non-realism I'll accept in a contemporary romance because -  I don't know about you, but - I'd rather not read one hundred pages of a boy who wears cargo shorts asking for his girlfriend to send nudes.

Looking back on it, I can't remember what the original plot of this post was supposed to be other than me re-reading Fangirl for the third time and wanting to talk about how cute Levi and Cath are. Seriously, the only line out of all the contemporaries I've read that has made me squeal and think about nothing but that single string of words for three hours is 'are you rooting for me' and now I don't think that I'll ever be able to marry anyone, ever, unless they use that line on me at some point.(@Michael5SOS hmu). 

Aside from making me feel like a huge ball of sunshine and loneliness, which benefits do cutesy, romance contemporary books have? Probably none. They just make me wish I'd actually picked up Throne of Glass sooner and set unrealistic standards for both men and women.

Will I continue to read them? Hell yeah. Will I continue to regret it? Probably. Will Michael Clifford stumble upon this blog post, read it, realise that he's actually in love with me, miraculously find my mobile number, call me up (in an alternate universe that I don't ignore calls from an unknown number) and convince me (not a lot of convincing needed) to go out on a date with him? No, but if you write a book about it, let's be real, I'd probably read that shit faster than you can say 'fan fiction'.

What is your opinion on contemporary? Do you love to hate it? Do you hate that you love it? Do you secretly relish all the times that insta-love occurs? 

No comments :

Post a Comment