Saturday 25 October 2014

Happy Halloween, From The Blogger Who Doesn't Read Horror.

Saturday 25 October 2014


I have a confession to make - I, Natalie Kate, don't read horror. Now, I've read a few scary books in my lifetime but not enough to be posting my favourite horror books or to even make a post related to the Halloween season. Oops. I suppose it's something to do with me wanting to sleep at night and at seventeen years old, still believing that there is a man who lives beneath our floorboards. I do love Halloween (it might be because of the candy) so I wanted to make a Halloween appropriate post: here's my idea.

My Top 5 favourite Villains/Antagonists


 The Darkling

If you've read past posts on this blog then you will be more than aware about my feelings for the Darkling. Having only read the first book in this trilogy I know that there is a lot I'm missing out on, however, this doesn't stop his character from being one of the best villains I've read. Also, I'm pretty much in love with him - that always helps right?








The King of Adarlan

I don't 'like' the King of Adarlan. In fact, I can't stand him. Every time he is mentioned it sends a shiver up my spine and I feel sick to my stomach. Which makes him a FANTASTIC Villain. The King doesn't stop being shady because he 'likes' someone, he doesn't stray from his beliefs because of someone he loves and that's what I admire about him. Yes, I just said that I admire him - and Sarah J Maas has to be recognised for writing such a strong, twisted, bastard of a character.





 


Sebastian

As villains go, Sebastian isn't the best one. He isn't cunning and ruthless and he certainly doesn't make me want to crawl into a hole and hide for the rest of my life. Despite this, I fell in love with him. I know a lot more readers of The Mortal Instruments feel the same - I just couldn't help but feel love for this young boy who had the worst upbringing a child could have. Sebastian didn't know what love meant, he was trying to do what his father wanted, what his father strived for during the entirety of his life. I don't have a bad word to say about Sebastian's Character. I think he was written exactly as Cassandra Clare wanted him to be and yet he still has a vulnerable side - Solid Character.



Cain

Oh God, Cain. Cain gave me the creeps from the get go. He's that character you just know can't be any good. You know he's the type of evil that is rooted in his heart and you can't shake it. You know he's the villain that you absolutely hate. I don't know what it is about Sarah J Maas that makes me admire the way every single one of her characters makes me feel, either she has an extensive knowledge on writing characters that people love even when they hate them or if she's just an incredible writer overall - I'm leaning towards the latter. Cain is a phenomenal villain.





 President Snow

I don't want to say much about President Snow. Those who've read The Hunger Games know exactly what I'm talking about and those who've seen the movie also know what I'm talking about. President Snow is mean. He's horrible and probably slightly masochistic. He is completely different to most villains in the sense that there is no way he'll get his hands dirty. He'll brainwash people into killing, manipulating and destroying for him just so that at the end of the day he can hold his hands up and say 'Well, I've never personally killed anyone so how can this all be my fault?'. He feeds off of pain and fear. He threatens to hurt the people that Katniss loves because he knows that it'll destroy her, that it'll make her crazy with worry and hatred. He aims to kill these people from the inside out, instead of just shooting them and getting it over with. Which makes him one of the scariest, creepiest and best villains I've ever read.

No comments :

Post a Comment