Tuesday 4 August 2015

20 Thoughts While Reading Ruin & Rising by Leigh Bardugo

Tuesday 4 August 2015

This book has proved to be a huge point of difficulty for me when coming to decide which type of review I should write for it. Mini, Normal, Bullet Points? But nothing seemed worthy of Ruin and Rising and I wanted to write a review for it that I actually enjoyed.

Ruin and Rising caused a huge conflict in my emotions. I was torn between absolutely loving the ending, given that Alina ended up happy and with everything that she had wanted since the first book, but also being kind of disappointed. I was hoping for a much 'bigger' ending, so to speak. Explosions, death, grief, anger etc etc. Instead it was all happy days and I just wasn't comfortable with that. It felt like a trick. Anyway, here are some thoughts I had while reading it. The good, the bad and the ugly.

1) I really miss Nikolai. I hope we see him soon.

2) Ah, Darkling. She's going to beat you at your own game.

3) Have I finally been graced (again) by the beauty that is Nikolai?

4) Only Nikolai could be so into himself.

5) I love that Nikolai doesn't try to convince Alina not to do something. He knows the she knows what she needs to do. He trusts her to make the right choice for everyone. I LOVE NIKOLAI.

6) Have a little faith, Alina.

7) IF NIKOLAI DIES IN THIS BOOK I'M GOING TO FUCKING SCREAM.

8) Tamar and Nadia is the best thing in the world. YES YES YES.

9) I'm honestly tearing up at the scene between Alina and Darkling but I also just really want them to have sex.

10) If she thinks about Mal one more time when she's with Nikolai I'm going to throw her off the damn kingfisher myself.

11) Holy fucking shit fuck shit FUCK shit I can't read this I can't DEAL with this I'm going to throw up.

12) I'M GONNA RIP MY EYES OUT WITH A SPOON.

13) I am shocked. I'm upset. I'm crying. I'm heartbroken. I'm angry. I'm so so angry. And yet I am nothing but an empty shell of a woman.

14) Genya might be ruination but I, for one, am ruined.

15) Ashamed at myself for saying this but...Mal is not annoying me as much in this book? I don't actually want the Darkling to turn him into ash. I'd happily settle for a knife in the heart or suffocation.

16) Pretty sure that was the lamest twist ever.

17) AND he's back to being annoying.

18) Why is Alina constantly lying to herself.

19) 'SPEAK MY NAME ONCE MORE' I LOVE YOU I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU ALEKSANDER

20) If they bring back Mal I'm going to follow Baghra.

2 comments :

  1. I read (and did a Thoughts While Reading review!) of Shadow and Bone a few months ago, and I have to say that I didn't love it. It might have been because I kind of rushed through it, but I just couldn't connect with any of the characters... but everyone says the series gets better, and your enthusiasm kind of makes me want to finish it now! (And WHO IS NIKOLAI? I don't remember him at all, so I'm guessing he's a new character...) Uh, now I have to add more books to my TBR!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get better! I didn't love Shadow and Bone as much as other people did but they convinced me to read Siege and Storm and, well, once you've read Siege and Storm you have to read Ruin and Rising.

      Nikolai is introduced in Siege and Storm which is a REASON YOU SHOULD READ IT. MOSTLY FOR NIKOLAI. Not at all for Mal. (Unless you liked him, in which case I'm not sure if we can be friends).

      Delete