Thursday 4 February 2016

TBR Jar + The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

Thursday 4 February 2016
The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
Set amid the austere beauty of the North Carolina coast, Nicholas Sparks' novel tells the story of Travis Parker, a small town veterinarian who's perfectly content with the active life he leads. That is, until Gabby Holland enters his life.



Review:
I usually reserve Nicholas Sparks' books for a summer holiday abroad so to read it in the middle of January while I am undoubtedly in South London was a new experience for me and I hate to say that I think it took a little of the magic away.

Most of the time, when reading Nicholas Sparks you can find me in the corner of some hotel room wiping tears from my eyes and weeping into the a la carte menu, but I wasn't feeling any emotion while reading The Choice. The story, in theory, still has the heartbreaking, tragic theme that comes hand in hand with the words Nicholas Sparks but it didn't grip me like his stories usually do. Whether it was because I had only seen the characters together for a matter of days or simply because of the situation in which I was reading the book, I don't know, but I do know that The Choice is not one of my favourites.

I still thoroughly enjoying reading the book, the story was interesting, the characters were actually some of the best Nicholas Sparks' characters, in my opinion, but I just wasn't as carried away with the book as I wanted to be, which is an immense shame.


On another note, I created a TBR Jar. It was a difficult decision for me to make, being a mood reader and not having the best track record with reading books that I feel 'forced' into, it was a tricky situation for me to be in. In the long run, however, I decided to make one because I am so tired of looking at my shelves and seeing books that I just don't have the desire to pick up. These are all books that I want to read, all of them, and yet I am just more inclined to pick up the books that I bought two weeks ago versus two years.

I'm going to be choosing one book a month, maybe more, depending on the situation and reading that book to inevitable reduce my TBR so that I don't have to feel guilty about buying new books all the time. The Choice, which I reviewed above, was my first TBR pick and I am so happy to say that I actually finished the book in January. We're off to a good start, folks.


2 comments :

  1. The Choice is in my top 3 fave Nicholas Sparks books! I just loved the characters but tbh I don't think the film looks very good :/ I've never thought of a TBR jar that is a pretty good idea!
    http://whatsusanread.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know there was a film! Maybe I'll have to check it out.

      It's definitely helping me to keep on track of my reading which is always a goof thing hahaha!

      thanks for stopping by, Susan :)

      Delete